Sunny Boy Control over AC Lines [RE-wrenches]

Robert Warren robertwarren at mail.com
Thu Oct 16 08:18:52 PDT 2003

Mark,
 I have installed and used lots of the powerline comm units and found
them to be a whole lot easier to install as I don't have to run data
cable, and I had few errors as it communicates only at 1200 BAUD and
does a parity bit check each time to make sure the full packet of data
is recieved. If I got a rate of 10% lost packets, it was no big deal as
I would always still have my daily kW/hrs and whatever other voltage and
currinet readings I needed from the inverters. I had one big
installation for the Canono HQ in London with 60 inverters all with
Powerline feeding into a 3 phase supply. We used phase converters and a
noise filter, all available from SMA, and it performed well over the
first two years. Mind you, this was an office complex with over 400
workers, all with kinds of computers, printers, copy machines,
flourescent lighting, and all kinds of advanced electronic gizmos, since
it was Canon, and still the Powerline data was reliable.
 I don't think many people in the US have much experience with it like I
did over 3 years in the UK, but I would say, check it out. It works! By
the way, there is a rather narrow defined bandwidth for Powerline modems
from Sunnyboy inverters, so they work at a different frequency that
Powerline Baby Monitors.
Robert Warren

markb at cobaltpower.com wrote:

> Anybody have experience with the SMA Sunny Boy Control unit, using power
> line communications from the inverter to the control unit?  Sure would
> be convenient if it works, but I hear the communication is unreliable
> and there are frequent trouble calls.
> Thanks

What will we do if there is another fuel shortage?
Did you know that there is a pollution free, completely
renewable fuel which you can use right now in your own car?
Don't replace the engine, replace the fuel.
Check out my website on making your own fuel:
http://running_on_alcohol.tripod.com
robertwarren at mail.com

- - - -
To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com