short lived UPS system [RE-wrenches]

Nick Lucchese nickl at sierrasolar.com
Thu Sep 25 14:38:58 PDT 2003

<x-flowed>
Greetings Todd,
  I believe it has something to do with the lead plates being porous.
It's been awhile but supposedly the battery needs to be broken in by
cycling the battery frequently (or at least initially). The cycling
fills all those little holes or "pores" thus allowing  a thorough
coverage of the plates for the whole reaction to take place. If not
cycled and broken in the pores get sealed up not allowing that
portion of the battery to live up to it's "full" potential.

  If someone on the list can't give us a better explanation maybe
Joseph at DC Power is the man.. Anyone ever see a post from him?

  Nick A Lucchese

>I still don't understand the need for cycling flooded LA batteries. I can see
>the need for equalization charges here and there, but cycling? Why? These are
>not ni-cads so IMO should only suffer from needless cycles not benefit from
>that.
>
>Todd

- - - -
To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com