RE; Breaker hold down kit [RE-wrenches]

Bill Brooks billb at endecon.com
Sat Sep 6 22:38:28 PDT 2003

Vince,

The problem lies in Article 690. It uses the word "Backfed". I am on a
rampage to remove that evil word from 690 and replace it with specific text
to address the issue. 408.16 refers to breakers being fed from other panels
or backup generators. As you point out, it is a misuse of the term.

You can only truly backfeed a breaker if you are a voltage source unit with
no controls. Current sources are negative loads--How does AC go backwards
anyway--things that make you go hmmmmm. Many inspectors have a tough time
grasping that concept, however.

This problem will not go away until we put specific wording in the code that
clarifies that this is not necessary.

As you point out, some kits do not work on the smaller breakers that we use.
Ask your inspector if you can attach to the busbar with a 70-amp breaker,
come off the breaker with a short run of 4 AWG to a fused disconnect at
whatever rating you need. Although this does not meet 690.64 requirements
you can give him the choice of which requirement he likes better. The
alternative is to come into the top of the main breaker with a double-lug
kit and then go to a fused disconnect in the same way.

Bill.