RE; Breaker hold down kit [RE-wrenches]

Jason Fisher jfisher at nahbrc.org
Fri Sep 5 08:45:40 PDT 2003

Matt's has an excellent point when recommending that we describe an inverter
as an "interactive" devise. To support this we can point out that the
inverter also operates as a load which draws power from the grid to energize
the transformer windings and operate it's controls. Turn off the PV breakers
to demonstrate this.

I would also add that pointing out that inverter AC conductors are "branch
circuits" and not "feeders" may aid in keeping an inspector on Earth with
regards to these issues.

In Vince's case however, this may not help since the inspector has already
made a decision, which is always difficult to reverse. I'd take EH's advise
and discuss the idea of a service tap with the inspector. You could also use
a fused disconnect rated for use as "service entrance equipment" for this in
addition to the load center suggestion. The taps rules are tricky though,
not to mention the issue of how do you de-energize the feeders to make this
tap in a method that is acceptable to the utility. I wouldn't recommend this
work be done hot!

Jason Fisher
AE