steaming batteries [RE-wrenches]

Windy Dankoff, Dankoff Solar windy at dankoffsolar.com
Tue Sep 2 19:40:14 PDT 2003

<x-flowed>
>William,
>
>First of all, see my website for pictures and a description of how I now
>wire my system http://www.wagonmaker.com/newbatt.html
>
>I guess I do need to find a better way to express that because in a
>technical sense you are right, it is still "series/parallel" in that the
>bank consists of sets of batteries in series that then connect in parallel
>to the system itself via parallel connections to a buss bar.  However, it is
>the nature of the parallel connections that is quite different and, as the
>battery folks I've dealt with including the tech people at C&D/Dynasty tell
>me, makes all the difference.
>
>What I've seen in RE systems is that the parallel connections are made
>through series strings that are connected to each other, which means all the
>power flows through the bank, both in and out, with one positive and one
>negative point of connection to the system for the all the strings.

Tom and fellows,

I think the operative word is "symmetry". Parallel on a schematic is
one thing, but by ignoring the physical layout (as schematics do), it
ignores the reality of resistances.

Imagine a schematic for series-parallel batteries with a resistor
symbol inserted at every junction (some small fraction of an ohm).

How to make every leg equal? (or strive to) ... Make it SYMMETRICAL.

Tom, you have the right idea.

>Using a buss bar to make the parallel connections means that each series
>string that is parallel connected to the buss bar is more isolated from the
>current flow,

I disagree with this statement. Only diodes produce isolation (one
string can't flow into another), but it's rhetorical.

>... contributing or receiving its share only and the distribution
>is more equal across all the strings.

There ya go!

Thanks Tom, and you know what? No sooner than I looked at your web
page than a dealer called me up for advice on how to hook up an
EIGHT-STRING parallel set of batteries! He knows it's against the
rules, but that's what the customer obtained, somehow. I referred him
to your page!

Windy

- - - -
To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com