steaming batteries [RE-wrenches]

Tom Elliot, Guffey Energy Works telliot at wagonmaker.com
Tue Sep 2 14:16:56 PDT 2003

William,

First of all, see my website for pictures and a description of how I now
wire my system http://www.wagonmaker.com/newbatt.html

I guess I do need to find a better way to express that because in a
technical sense you are right, it is still "series/parallel" in that the
bank consists of sets of batteries in series that then connect in parallel
to the system itself via parallel connections to a buss bar.  However, it is
the nature of the parallel connections that is quite different and, as the
battery folks I've dealt with including the tech people at C&D/Dynasty tell
me, makes all the difference.

What I've seen in RE systems is that the parallel connections are made
through series strings that are connected to each other, which means all the
power flows through the bank, both in and out, with one positive and one
negative point of connection to the system for the all the strings.

Using a buss bar to make the parallel connections means that each series
string that is parallel connected to the buss bar is more isolated from the
current flow, contributing or receiving its share only and the distribution
is more equal across all the strings.  As I think about it this is as if
each series string had its own connection to the inverter/charge source.

I'm betting that the failed battery in that system was one at the end of a
series string and the one carrying the positive inverter cable, but that's
just a guess.  If the point of connection for the entire bank fails it means
the whole bank suffers.  In a buss bar arrangement one string can fail
without taking the entire bank with it.

Tom

> Please explain what you mean when you say "never use series parallel" but
> instead use buss bars.  Schematically, there will still be a series
> parallel arrangement, given the number of batteries and nominal system
> voltage.  Please elaborate.
>
> William Miller

> William Miller
> Miller Power and Communications
> PO Box 50, Santa Margarita, CA 93453
> Voice :805-438-5600     Fax: 805-438-4607
> email: wrmiller at slonet.org
> http://millerpowerandcomm.com
> License No. C-10-773985
> Compatibility:
> Word processor: WP10
> Spreadsheet: Quatro Pro 10
> CAD: Microstation 95, DXF, Visio 4.1T
> "Every decent man is ashamed of the government he lives under."
>                                     H. L. Mencken
>
> - - - -

> List rules & etiquette: http://www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquete.htm

> Hosted by Home Power magazine