Xantrex versus Sunny Boy [RE-wrenches]

Bill Brooks billb at endecon.com
Fri Aug 1 15:46:44 PDT 2003

Jeff,

How are you measuring this 6% loss? I think that is excessive if the proper
efficient transformer is used. If you are measuring volt-amps, that is not
an accurate assessment of energy lost. Certainly there is heating of
conductors because of the current flow, but this the main real power loss.
Contrary to Kent's post, most customers do not pay for VARS unless they have
a really bad power factor that the utility is penalizing them for. I think
you either have the wrong transformer, or you are not calculating your
energy loss properly.

Bill.