Trilliant Breaker needed [RE-wrenches]

Jason Fisher jfisher at nahbrc.org
Tue Jul 15 06:29:19 PDT 2003

John has good point Allan, I've used this approach successfully but I'd
highly recommend running this by your inspector first.
Also, in an effort to refresh my mind on this topic, and help ensure that
all of us COA when using such solutions, I thought I'd try to address any
relevant code sections that I know of. Perhaps others have more ideas. I'm
using a 1999 book:

-230-46 allows service conductors to be tapped with some basic conditions.
230-82(5) specifically says that PV systems are acceptable to be connected
to the supply side of the service.
-Make sure to follow all feeder tap rules in 240-21
-Make sure the panel has a main and is not a "split-bus" where you may end
up with more than six service disconnects by adding the new PV disconnect.
-Make sure the conductors' ampacity is greater than the sum of the main
breaker(s) and the new fused disconnect.
-I've had it pointed out to me that the sum of all unfused service wiring
(existing and new taps) should not exceed six-feet inside the building.
This, I believe, is more of a general rule of thumb and not a specific code
requirement.
-I have always heard that splicing in service panels is not allowed but the
1999 code doesn't seem to be clear on this. I've just been told by another
sparky that 312.8 in the 2002 book now specifically allows the splicing in
service panelboards with some fill requirements (75%). That's good news
since this is an impression that many inspectors I've met have had.

With regards to finding an old breaker, I'd wonder if these breakers would
have been listed to be backfed?

All this said, I'd still vote for the service change. It's never a bad place
for homeowners to invest in their home. That's what I suggest for any
Federal Pacific customers I have!

Cheers,

Jason Fisher
Owner