MX60 Max Array Voltage? [RE-wrenches]

Christopher Freitas - OutBack Power cfreitas at outbackpower.com
Wed Jul 2 14:01:04 PDT 2003

Darryl Thayer wrote:
> In the case of the MX60 and the open
> circuit voltage of collector arrays, is it possible to
> use the MX60 bypass, diversion load feature to shed
> power when the voltage gets to high?

We have considered this - but there are some drawbacks to each solution
and end the end you get added complexity and more parts to possible
fail.

Keeping it simple is a better idea usually.

Also - adding the voltage limiter will not address the NEC issues of
maximum system voltage - it still is based on the PV without anything
connected to it...

I did see a controller years ago that switched in a variable number of
diodes in series with the PV array to taper the PV output current
without any switching PWM etc.  Elegant in a certain way - but it made a
lot of heat...

Christopher Freitas
OutBack Power Systems, Inc.
cfreitas at outbackpower.com  www.outbackpower.com