Battery efficiencies (was: cost per kWh) [RE-wrenches]

Hugh Piggott hugh at scoraigwind.co.uk
Mon Jun 2 14:51:41 PDT 2003

<x-flowed>
>95% for wiring, like you.
>85-92% for inverter, like you.
>92% for PV/battery mismatch with an MPPT controller (more conservative than
>you), and 75% with a non-MPPT controller.
>96% for battery efficiency
Everyone has their own idea for battery efficiency.  And everyone
uses batteries differently.

But everyone has some DC power usage that never enters the battery at
all (goes straight past the terminals to the inverter and runs the
loads, due to convenient timing of loads being on during sunny/windy
times).

And at other times we charge a battery at 14 volts and discharge at
12 volts (so that is only 85% efficient even if you get all your
Amphours back - which you don't...)

And what about the energy that goes into gassing the battery?

And what about the sunny days when the battery is full at noon
because the array is sized to keep the system working in December?
Nobody (except Bill) seems to mention this last one but it must be
one of the biggest losses of all.  Energy we did not need.  That's
not really battery efficiency.  It's more like 'system design
efficiency', or even 'user efficiency' if we want to be really
accurate.

It's a hard one to put a figure on.

I'd like to at least know how much energy I can expect to be
available to charge the battery, which should be a relatively simple
question to answer, but I am still a wee bit fuzzy on that.  I think
I might use 60-70% of STC x sun hours.  I hope that is conservative.
--
Hugh

visiting the Isle of Eigg
http://www.scoraigwind.co.uk/