Batteries on Concrete [RE-wrenches]

Tom Simko tom at skylinesolar.com
Thu Apr 24 14:52:03 PDT 2003

Bill,
 The "don't put batteries on a concrete floor" tale has been around for
decades, and does not apply, if it ever did, to our modern batteries. I
believe it to be an urban myth! The theory is that somehow the concrete
sucks the juice out, can't see how that could happen.

 Having said that, I never put them directly on a concrete floor, unless it
is a radiant heated concrete floor, simply because in my cold climate,  it
would tend to keep the battery lower temps lower then optimum. The last
battery installation I did, in an unheated garage, I first laid a 2" thick
piece of high density foam, with 3/4" plywood over that. Then I built an
insulated box over that.

 At my own place I recently put in a new set of free batteries from an oil
pipeline UPS, well not free,I had to pay 8 bucks for 1400 lbs of them...
Since I heat with radiant floors, I fashioned a piping loop under the
insulated battery box, at the bottom of 6" of sand, covered the sand with
concrete tile backer board and then the batteries. I run my return loop
water through it on the way back to the 500 gallon storage tank, as it
averages 70 to 80 degrees it keeps the batteries cozy in the winter in my
semi-heated power room.

Tom Simko
Skyline Solar

To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com