electric water heater [RE-wrenches]

Tom Simko tom at skylinesolar.com
Thu Apr 10 05:22:10 PDT 2003

 An electric water heater CAN make sense in an off grid home. I noticed this
winter that most times when my thermal system falls behind demand, it was
windy, thus I'd have an excess of power thanks to my wind turbines output
combined with my PV array. (H-80,  recently replaced by a AWP 3.6). So... I
bought a 20 gallon 120 VAC water heater from the Depot (less then 200 bucks)
and judicious use of the watt eater has served me well as a backup. By no
means is it a  main source of hot water, but combined with my stainless wood
boiler which is also plumbed into the 20 gallon tank, it gives me a quick
and free (propane was well over a buck a gallon this winter) source of hot
water. Plus its fun to mention to other knowledgeable off gridders I use an
electric water heater! I'd never go this route for a customer however, as
you must ride herd on the 85 amp plus power draw pretty carefully, it better
be windy and stay windy while in use to make it a reasonable load.

Tom Simko
Skyline Solar

To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & etiquette: http://www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquete.htm