MM5 troubleshooting [RE-wrenches]

Todd Cory, Mt. Shasta Energy Services toddcory at finestplanet.com
Wed Apr 9 15:30:18 PDT 2003

I would never design or install a system that powered non-essential loads (like
an electric hot water) heater off a grid back up battery / inverter system.
These are basically large UPS systems, for essential loads like well pumps,
refrigerators and efficient lighting. Large loads like this would never be put
on a off grid system. With a grid tied system you have the option of putting
them on the non back up grid only panel where they belong.

Before I will put in an off grid system I spend hours with the customer and get
them to:

FIRST become as efficient as possible (every dollar spent on efficiency pays
back 3 to 5 dollars in reduced system costs, or in this case much longer UPS run
time and happier customer), and remove all large electrical loads like space
heating, ranges / ovens and water heating. In a grid tied, battery back up
system these loads stay on the main panel (or converted to non electric) and are
not fed by the inverter.

SECOND have them install a solar thermal system for space / domestic water
heating (if they do not want to use propane) and then,

THIRD we talk about solar electricity.

I simply will not put in something that I know will not work well even if the
customer demands it. This reminds me of the guy that insisted I put his hot tub
on the critical load SW4024 fed panel. I said I would not do that and if he
wanted that done then he would have to hire someone else to put in his system.
IMO it never pays (even if the customer demands) to put something together that
will not work well. Often customers do not understand the limitations of
inverters / batteries when powering large resistance heating loads and doing so
is a recipe for an unhappy customer.

I know your question was about the inverter shutting down, but I couldn't resist
commenting on what this woman wanted you to do.

Todd

- - - -
To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & etiquette: http://www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquete.htm