Customer Service (was MM5 troubleshooting) [RE-wrenches]

Allan Sindelar allan at positiveenergysolar.com
Wed Apr 9 16:14:48 PDT 2003

----- Original Message -----
From: "Todd Cory, Mt. Shasta Energy Services" <toddcory at finestplanet.com>
> I simply will not put in something that I know will not work well even if
the
> customer demands it. This reminds me of the guy that insisted I put his
hot tub
> on the critical load SW4024 fed panel. I said I would not do that and if
he
> wanted that done then he would have to hire someone else to put in his
system.
> IMO it never pays (even if the customer demands) to put something together
that
> will not work well.

This is an essential and relevant Wrenches topic. I fundamentally agree with
Todd, and I run our business accordingly. The customer is not always right.
Sometimes they're just flat wacky. We often--routinely--explain why an idea
won't work, or what's a better way. We expect to be taken as experts, and we
inform, teach (and sometimes pontificate mercilessly) as such.

Jeez Louise, sometimes I wish I weren't so *#$@&!^ idealistic. We routinely
lose potential jobs because we tell the client that his/her money will be
better spent on efficiency improvements rather than on solar.

It hurts in the bank account some times. But it's how we have developed our
reputation as straight shooters. Most of our leads are referrals.

Allan @ Positive Energy

- - - -
To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & etiquette: http://www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquete.htm