finding those rafters... [RE-wrenches]

ASAP POWER! asap at podnine.com
Mon Mar 24 21:53:47 PST 2003

Here's what we've been doing lately.  Go into the attic and snuggle up next
to the closest rafter within your rooftop layout where you want the footing
in.  Always choose the correct one.  Someone on the roof is helpful too.
With an 18V Milwaukee, drill a small 1/8 in. hole up at a 45 or so where the
plywood or chipboard (God save us) and the rafter meet, such that you
penetrate just over the middle of the rafter.  Repeat at bottom of truss or
some distance below first so that you can snap a line between the holes when
you're back on top.  You can often use the eave out end of the roof truss
off the edge of the roof and save yourself sliding down inside the attic for
the second hole.  This isn't failsafe because as pointed out trusses don't
have to be straight and can have a good warp to them even before they have
the substrate nailed down, which locks in the warp.  Generally though, the
only mistakes you make at this point is by not trusting the holes and the
snapped line.  You DO have to gauge the thickness of the roof/substrate and
"aim" accordingly for coming out over the center of your chosen rafter.
After doing your thing with the lags on the top just make sure to take some
more evil black goo and fill in the two holes on each end of the rafter.
The 1/8 in holes seem to plug up well and you can find them easily and get
the tip of the tube in it.  Squeeze it right in there, making sure you
filled the entire angled hole and mound it a little on top.  Most times the
holes can be made close to where the feet are going to be lagged in so rail
or array usually is over your sealed holes eventually anyway.  Still, one
might check all the pilot holes for the lags with wire feel method.  That's
a good quick little tool.  And I was just about to return that brazing rod.
Can't remember what I bought it for!

PD