finding those rafters... [RE-wrenches]

Bruce Gardiner brucegar at igc.org
Mon Mar 24 19:54:40 PST 2003

On composition shingle roofs, where the shingles are still pliable enough to
lift up slightly, I have used the following method with great success:
Select a shingle near where you think the rafter is, (by measurement or
tapping), slide a 3 or 4" spatula under the shingle and ease it up 1 1/2" or
2". Then with a 1/16" x 12" pilot bit, drill a few holes at an angle, under
the raised shingle, through the plywood until you locate both sides of the
rafter.  To seal the shingle again, I shoot in some Sikaflex and stand on
it. Usually I do this with the first rafter and take extremely accurate
measurements from inside the attic for the subsequent ones. If there's no
attic and no other reference point, I do it with all of them.
Good Luck
Bruce