wind wiring [RE-wrenches]

Hugh Piggott hugh at scoraigwind.co.uk
Sat Mar 1 00:22:59 PST 2003

<x-flowed>

Hi

>  Does anyone have experience wiring a wind
>machine to more than one home?  How did you go about doing so?

I simply connected the batteries together by a long cable and fed the
windpower in at the middle.  To separate the batteries you could use
blocking diodes or (better) separate rectifiers for the two homes.
Even so the one with the lowest charge takes the lion's share of the
power.  Volt drop will help to ensure that the better charged battery
still gets something.

>   Do you
>take the wild, three phase ac to each home or rectify at the base of the
>tower?

Rectify at the base of the tower.  DC transmission in much more
efficient than 3 phase AC unless you can boost the voltage with
transformers.

>Will the battery with the lowest SOC get the bulk of the
>current?

yes.

>Would the same type of diversion controller be necessary at
>each home (one has an SW and there was thought of using the 3 AUX relays
>to stage some diversion loads on that home).

That would work, but would you want to rely on it alone?

>All homes are currently 24VDC.  Any thoughts or heads ups would be
>greatly appreciated, including HV/LV with transformers and use of
>aluminum wire for these runs, which are 300-400 feet.

The frequency is too low for transformers.  If the wire runs are that
long then you will probably get some power sharing even when
batteries are in very different states.

You could also site/move a battery at/to the wind turbine and
distribute the power at grid voltage through an inverter.
--
Hugh

On the Isle of Lismore
hugh at scoraigwind.co.uk