Torque Drivers [RE-wrenches]

Travis Creswell, Ozark Solar ozsolar at ipa.net
Tue Mar 4 06:44:11 PST 2003

It would all depend on your application, of course.  I assume that you are
talking about what is also called a torque screwdriver.  They look something
like ratcheting nut drivers.  Grainger carries a few Proto models for about
the same money.  Proto is known for being a high end line of hand tools and
Grainger never quibbles about warranties.

As with any torque tool you must start off with knowing the specs of what
you predict you will commonly be using it to torque. Then select a tool with
the range that puts that common spec right in the middle.  For example, if
you predict you will be regularly tightening to 100 ft/lbs. don't buy a tool
with a range of 10-100 ft lbs.  Instead select one that has a range of
25-200 ft. lbs.  It will be easier to use and last longer.  The very design
of torque tools makes it very hard for you to use them at the upper end of
their range as the handle length is limited to make it difficult to go past
that range.

Travis Creswell
Ozark Energy Services

To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com