used oil field pipe [RE-wrenches]

matthew tritt solarone at charter.net
Fri Feb 28 08:39:09 PST 2003

Jack,

Interesting point. There are two major suppliers of used oil well casing in
San Luis Obispo County who stockpile mountains of this pipe. There are
hundreds of ranches, businesses and homes with hundreds of miles of pipe
fence posts, gates and pipe frame buildings in this county alone, none of
which has reported any radio-activity related illness (that I've heard of)
in the approximately 15 years this type of activity has been going on.
Except for the 2nd head the welder at the main yard is growing (of course).

Seriously, considering the amount of natural radioactivity contained in most
crude oils, you'd have to live on the pipe pile for many years to suffer any
adverse effects, far less dangerous than welding or flame-cutting galvanized
pipe! Just for the fun of it though, I'll dig out my old Geiger counter and
check the yard one of these days.

Matt T