Looking for a fuel pump. [RE-wrenches]

Doug Pratt dpratt at pacific.net
Tue Feb 4 19:39:51 PST 2003

> The problem is that eventually her pump seals will fail, estimated at
6
> months from new. She needs an equivalent pump that has Teflon, Virton,
or
> ??? seals. Any ideas?

Ah Ha! Got the definitive answer from our friendly local biodiesel
dealer today. I'll let Kumar speak for himself.

Hi Doug,

    Kumar here. I was informed that a topic has emerged on the wrenches
newsgroup concerning the use of biodiesel in currently available pumps.
Well, I believe I can help shed some light on the matter. When our
Company first started selling biodiesel in late 2001, we searched for a
pump
That would be suitable with biodiesel, to mount on the back of our
delivery
Truck (at the time, either of 2 old diesel F250s). What we found was the
Fill-Rite brand (made by Tuthill) 1200 series- specifically, a 12V pump
capable of 15 GPM. We recently retired it, although it should be noted
it still works like new, after having pumped over 50,000 gallons of
nothing but biodiesel (virgin soy, recycled, and even homebrew) through
it. Tuthill was
Actually quite surprised by our success with that pump, which admittedly
is not biodiesel-proof on paper. They told us it should have conked out
many
thousands of gallons ago. Since we first informed them of our success,
they have begun putting together a pump designed for biodiesel, with
viton
seals and no low-grade rubber. We will be beta-testing it very soon. In
the
meantime, I recommend 1 of 2 styles of Fill-Rite pumps for people using
biodiesel- the FR152, a handpump, and any of the 1200 series electric
pumps.

I understand that the person using biodiesel to heat her home is
Probably looking for something continuous-feed. Our experience with Rose
at
Tuthill has been very good, and the company is open to biodiesel in a
way that others aren't- they actually embrace it. I would heartily
recommend
approaching them (http://www.tuthill.com <http://www.tuthill.com/> )
about this subject. In addition, I
would hope that if any other suitable pumps are uncovered in this
process, you could please inform me- we are always researching this
stuff, but three
people (Sunny, Dave, myself) can only accomplish so much. Much thanks
and respect.

Kumar Plocher
Yokayo Biofuels
http://www.ybiofuels.org/