pv for the military [RE-wrenches]

Dean T. Newberry deant at dcn.org
Thu Sep 18 23:00:31 PDT 2003

<x-flowed>
cMon y'All,
Sell the military some PV.
A bunch of silicon and glass crashing into the desert is better than a
small thermonucleaar reactor.
We abandon tons of stuff when we leave a zone, somebody might find the
solar junk useful.
More volume means lower costs for everyone.
Your sons, daughters and grandchildren are going to work on this stuff,
PV is a lot less dangerous than the fission device.

An army running on renewable resources needs less oil.
less oil demand requires less army.
run several iterations on this function and see what happens to your tax
dollars.
Anybody who wants to help start this function has my vote.

Basically as long as the military support for oil production is an
externalized cost to oil products, the comparable cost of other energy
products will appear disproportionately high.
If you reallocat the cost of the acquiring and administering Iraq to be
a cost of  imported oil, by say paying the Iraq war bonds with a tax on
all imported oil or just to keep it simple on all oil, then the cost of
other energy products begins to be comparable.

I haven't done the research, but the occupation costs $W/day, and the
cost of imported oil is $X/day.
The true cost of the Oil is $(W+X)/ day.  Do some other math and come up
with a real cost of a gallon of gas/ deisel/#2Fuel/JP4 and a zillion
other things from plastic bags to asphault.

   1. The first result is that the cost of  other fuels and feed stocks,
ag oils and alcohols, natural gas, bio-waste, wind and solar systems
would begin to be realistically comparable.
   2. The second result is that we would find it economicaly useful to
use less of the stuff.
         1. The effect of the second result is that we would be adding a
lot less carbon to the atmosphere which seems to be desirable.
         2. Another effect of the second result is that the quickest way
to reduce the cost of the oil is to reduce the military cost of
acquisition.  This can easily be done by sharing the cost with other oil
consuming nations.

I cannot imagine that anyone could actually add the cost of Iraqi
Occupation to the cost of a gallon of gas, but if they did it would put
some things in a better perspective.
To be honest, I think there are other benefits to the occupation of Iraq
and the full cost should not be bourne by oil products, so I'll suggest
that half the cost be applied to oil.

So... go sell solar stuff to the military, and tell your friends that we
could all breathe easier if the cost of a gallon of gas was more like $3
than $2.

cul  deant   (sp5, USASA 67-69)

Graham Owen wrote:

>>From talking to a friend  (truly a rocket scientist) who works at JPL,
>the military needs to utilize more solar power for numerous
>applications.  From what I have been told, the military is focusing on
>controlling space and is currently favoring micro-nuclear as opposed to
>PV, for future satellite and terrestrial rover-type vehicle designs.
>Solar power for remote stations, water purification, water heating,
>communications, etc. needs to be packaged and presented to the military.
>Perhaps Generals who understand and appreciate the many useful
>properties of solar energy will be less likely to willingly plan
>operations and risk lives to invade foreign counties for oil.
>
>Graham

- - - -
To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & etiquette: http://www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquete.htm