balancing from 120 to 240 [RE-wrenches]

EH Roy ehroy at solar-works.com
Fri Sep 5 14:13:37 PDT 2003

Darryl,

Any inverter listed to UL 1741 will disconnect from the utility grid if the
grid is out of spec. If this is happening regularly, your customer should
request that the utility put line loggers at his/her service entrance. This
will show the utility that their power is out of spec and they are required
to fix that. We have had this problem (both grid voltage too low and grid
voltage too high) and the utilities have installed line loggers and then
corrected the voltage. It happens more often than the utilities admit -
often at the end of a transmission line.

Not sure why you want to balance the power from an SMA inverter. If it is a
SB2500, it is already  sending power to both legs. If it is a SB1800 it is
only going to one leg but the grid will provide what is needed on the other
leg. I doubt the transformer is compatible. The SB inverters are very
impedance sensitive. How about it SMA?

E. H. Roy
Solar Works Inc.
64 Main Street