Need help selecting an inverter [RE-wrenches]

Darryl Thayer daryl_solar at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 3 05:56:27 PDT 2003

Thanks to all who responded to my call for help.  I
received several on and off group suggestions.
Thanks.  Almost universally people have suggested a
three or four stack of Outback VFX3648 inverters.
--- Greg Egan gegan at renewalaska.com  gave a
particularly complete response.
Many asked for the starting surge of the 240 volt 7 hp
motor.

 Christopher Freitas - OutBack Power wrote:
 In order to say if a specific inverter system can run
several motors we
 will need an idea of the start-up current required by
each of the
 motors.

I measured the start up of the large pump.  The
running current is 30 amps per leg 240 volt.  The
Start up surge is 102 amps on one leg and 99 amps on
the other leg.  I think it is my meter accuracy and
both legs are 100 amps.  My meter is a Greenlee clamp
on with peak current capability.  The other motors are
per leg, 10.2 amps running, 9.4 amps running, and a
couple of fractional HP motors.

Now if I use an Outback stack of four VFX3648 what is
my starting surge capability?  I will use the PSAC and
100 amp transfer breakers per the Outback standard
4-stack?

Also have others used this 4 stack in a similar
situation?

Thanks to everyone
Daryl

http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com