Energy Managment Rant [RE-wrenches]

Matt Tritt solarone at charter.net
Sun Aug 17 16:12:43 PDT 2003

Hmmmm. I actually think I disagree with the idea of ultimate Utility
fault in all this.

How many of us have more than one computer? One TV? One fuel efficient
car? No microwave or air conditioner? Telephone answering machine? If
there weren't consumer demand far all the electric garbage that we all
own and actually depend on to manage modern life, there might not be
such a huge problem. The utilities are merely providing a commodity, and
trying to do it in a way that allows an end profit. Just like the rest
of us.

I think the real problem lies in public ignorance, the ever-increasing
supply of consumer electronics/electrics and the lack of a government
mandate for energy efficient appliances. Unfortunately, because of the
mind-set of the people in power (at the moment), one spin-off will more
than likely be a push for new regional nuclear plants instead of more
alternative energy installations. I heard the tail-end of an interview
on NPR this morning with an "expert" in distributed power and water who,
when asked about alternatives, only found the time to talk about the
problematic projects; namely the Cape Cod wind farm that Ted Kennedy is
all up in arms about. Not one mention of all the other projects that are
successful, the great potential in future projects or any suggestion of
the need for national campaigns to make big projects possible.

Now every listener knows what a NIMBY is, but not what to do about them.
Grrrrrr.

Matt T