MPP and battery charging. [RE-wrenches]

Bob-O Schultze, Electron Connection econnect at snowcrest.net
Tue Jun 17 07:57:47 PDT 2003

<x-flowed>
John,
IMO, using an MPPT controller in a battery charging circuit is pretty
much called for these days. Unless it's a very small system or you
are using a 33 cell module (anyone even make them these days?) it's
like getting back what the PV manus try to sell us using the 25°C
rating nonsense. Specifying them into a system is the right thing to
do for your clients and I LOVE being able to configure many arrays at
a higher voltage to cut down on wire size and line loss. I've used
both the RV Power Products and the Outback offerings. Both work quite
well. The Outback has a far greater range of options (48V in-anything
down to 12V out, on-board relay for controlling a hydro or wind
machine AND PV in a hybrid system, dynamic PV/Battery voltage
tracking which seems to squeeze a few more watts out of the PVs than
the RV PP jobs, remote programming) but it comes at a somewhat higher
price than the RV PP line. Give a little, get a little.
Good Luck, bob-O

--
"The two greatest enemies of the people are criminals and government.
And if the latter is not tied down with the chains of the

- - - -
To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & etiquette: http://www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquete.htm

Moderator: michael.welch at homepower.com