net metering for South Carolina [RE-wrenches]

Greg Egan gegan at renewalaska.com
Sat Jun 14 07:57:26 PDT 2003

Dan,

I'm sending you an FAQ about net metering written by Tom Starrs, an attorney who helped many states write their Net Metering regs. He is a good guy and I think would help you if he's able. Another good contact would be to call /email ASES and see if they can help. Anybody know a specific person at ASES Dan should call first?

Best,

Greg

"Dan Whigham, SC Solar" wrote:

> Scenario: I met with the South Carolina State Energy Office Friday to discuss net metering for the state of South Carolina.
> Due to the state having so many electric suppliers, I was given the following opportunity/scenario.
> The state Energy Office cannot get involved in assistance with the push for net metering, but I was informed the largest producer of electricity in South Carolina was the State utility -Santee Cooper Electric.
> I was given until next Wednesday, to have a formal written proposal -purposing that Santee Cooper openly allow net metering.
> The document I would need to show the benefits to the state run utility why it would be in their best interest to allow net metering using PV. If the State energy office likes the proposal,  a meeting with the board governing the utility will be requested (with a wink and a handshake-granted), to submit and discuss this, in the attempt to get this enacted as an official utility offering.
>  I was stunned at their offer, but they needed someone ( a citizen)  to initiate the dialogue, as they were prevented from doing so.
> I already have the approval to sell back to Santee Cooper (thanks to some former employees of the State Energy Office), but there are some barriers when it comes to individual co-operatives who purchase electricity from them and resell it to local communities.
> This would be the a huge step forward for a state so dependent on Nuclear power.
> If anyone has been involved with the net metering process in your state and can forward  any document or link to assist in my proposal it would be greatly appreciated. I have a rare and golden opportunity, but I have very little time. Thank you in advance for any assistance you may be able to provide.
>
> Regards,
>
> Dan Whigham
>
> SC Solar
> 7073 Henry Harris Road
> Lancaster SC 29720
> www.scsolar.com
> 803-802-5522

> - - - -

> List rules & etiquette: http://www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquete.htm

> Hosted by Home Power magazine

Greg Egan
Alaska Renewable Energy
981 Gold Mine Trail Fairbanks, Alaska 99712
Phone: 907-457-4299; Fax: 907-457-4290; Email: gegan at renewalaska.com

- - - -
To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & etiquette: http://www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquete.htm