Fw: Update on NABCEP certification: WAKE UP !!!! people. [RE-wrenches]

Graham Owen graham at solarexpert.com
Wed Jun 4 18:32:05 PDT 2003

Bill,

Thanks for the reassuring comments from the NABCEP Board.  I know of a
few good installers that have mentioned, that they have never done well
on written tests and this is why they are probably working with their
hands as opposed to an office type of job, and are worried that they
could fail the test resulting in a loss of future income, even though
they do install safe, efficient and compliant systems.  I am pleased you
mentioned and recognized this concern.  Can you tell us what percentage
of questions has to be answered correctly to pass the test?

I am still wondering about my question regarding the 15% incentive for
NABCEP certified installers.  Will the CEC incentive be decreased 15% as
a penalty for non-certified installers or will there be 15% added onto
the existing incentive schedule?  I looked at the document Allan
directed us to, and it mentions “an increase in incentive funding for
systems installed by NABCEP-certified installers, are scenarios which
recognize the voluntary nature of NABCEP Certification that we could
endorse.”

I am assuming the NABCEP certification will occur after the next round
of incentive reductions.  15% added to $3.80 a Watt is $4.37 and 15%
subtracted from $3.80 is $3.23, this makes a big difference.

I hope it is an increase and if it is you guys have done a great job and
NABCEP will benefit the entire PV industry.  I have seen numerous crappy
PV installations and I am starting to see how valuable certification
will be for those who pass the test as well as their customers.  Since
NABCEP appears to have been accepted by the State of California as a
professional organization, and certification seems inevitable, we may as
well, as you put it, “Let's give it a go (as they say in Britain)”. Some
may be thinking of what they say in Texas,  “When rape is inevitable
just lay back and accept it.”

Are there any study guides or NABCEP recommended books where technical
information relating the test can be purchased?  Informative sources of
reference would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Graham

P.S.   I did a search on the Internet and found the following,
www.nabcep.com, which appears to be more humorous than substantive.

- - - -
To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & etiquette: http://www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquete.htm