HU361 as Combiner/Disconnect [RE-wrenches]

mlafferty at universalenergies.com mlafferty at universalenergies.com
Tue Jun 3 11:29:32 PDT 2003

Jeff asks:

Any reason an HU361 couldn't be used as a 2 string (or even 3 string)
combiner/disconnect for a single SB?  (as long as the  combined
string amperage is below the "fuse rating" of each panel?)

Wired as follows:

________  + to SB
l         l
0   0   0

0  0  0
l       l
l       l
l       l
+      + from  String 2
from String 1

Jeff / Wrenches:

The HU361 is my "disco of choice" for a number of reasons.  There are
two potential issues I see with your proposed schematic...

1.  The Line (Array) is required to be landed on the top lugs of the
Disco. (Behind the arc-shield)

2.  The lugs are rated for single-conductor landing only.

My recommendation, at least relating to the Disco at the Inverter, is to
run the two "switched hots" (from the bottom lugs) to the SB.  The SB
has 3 DC Input terminals for a reason.  This is it.

Regarding the use of an HU361 at dual locations, I think you will find
you can easily run the extra pair between disconnects in the same
conduit you are already installing.

Try it this way:

ARRAY

+ from String 1