Fw: Interesting installation [RE-wrenches]

Bill Brooks billb at endecon.com
Mon Apr 21 14:17:05 PDT 2003

Jay,

I would be happy to clarify. In my experience, the closest anyone has gotten
so far to doing it right as a manufacturers are AstroPower and possibly
Kyocera. They have dealer programs where they train their installers how to
install their system packages. Their programs may not be perfect, but they
are moving the right direction.

This is akin to the Master Dealer programs that Carrier and Trane HVAC
companies do with their dealers. I continue to see parallels between our
industry and the HVAC industry. We should learn from them as to what needs
to be done to get high quality installations.

Simply relying on the local inspector is not enough. Some inspectors are
very good, but many are not very thorough as the current example shows.
LADWP has seen the very same wiring problems get past inspectors--we need
more training for inspectors--CEC needs to revive their support of this.

The problem ultimately comes down to who is willing (and has the most at
stake) to tackle this problem. I would argue that you can regulate
stupidity. LADWP does it all the time. If something is clearly screwed up
because of ignorance or laziness, they make them change it before they get a
check. That's the most effective method. It's amazing how quickly things get
fixed when the money is contingent upon the fix. I believe the CEC has a far
more important role than they are currently willing to take.

Bill.