Fw: Interesting installation [RE-wrenches]

Bill Brooks billb at endecon.com
Mon Apr 21 10:12:29 PDT 2003

Jay and Don,

I don't know that my rant offered any suggestions on how to deal with the
problem, so I'm not sure how you can differ with my perspective on how to
fix the problem ;-).

Don, you are correct that there are several people like yourself and Bob-O
and Allan that are helping to lead the effort for the industry. I would like
to see greater emphasis at CalSEIA, SEIA, the California Energy Commission
(CEC), and the manufacturers and dealers.

You know I am a strong supporter of certification for installers, but I
believe it is going to take more than that to see real change in the field.
Jay, I think we are in total agreement about the need for inspections. LADWP
has proven the need over and over again. The issue is not whether
inspections are necessary, but how many systems must be inspected before it
is clear the installer understands what they are doing. Joe Stadler of LADWP
suggests that 3-4 inspections are necessary for most newcomers to the
industry. You also have to hold out the stick that random inspections can
occur to keep people honest.

The problem is that inspections cost money and the CEC can't use rebate
money to do inspections, and won't use the small amount of tech support
money to do them either. If manufacturers were more closely tied to their
installations (as they should be) they would help insure that their products
are installed properly and working as designed.

Bill.