BAD power factor?? [RE-wrenches]

Matt Lafferty pvpro at attbi.com
Mon Mar 10 19:02:17 PST 2003

Wrenches:

Todd Cory asked:

>These are "made in China" lamps purchased at Cost-Co R.

>Lamp 1 "13" watts:  says 175 ma X 120 volts = 21 watts (a 60% increase
over stated lamp wattage)

>Lamp 2 "14" watts: says 200 ma X 120 volts = 24 watts (a 70% increase
over stated lamp wattage)

I ask....Ever been to Berkeley?  The math's different there....OK,
enough of that!  God I hate that part, necessary evil......Had to say it
since they are taking over the world.....Forget Iraq!  (Sorry,
Michael.....Hope you didn't notice, but sure you did...)

It's a bad power factor associated directly with the quality of
components inside the lamp.....Or just bad math.....Or a printing
error.....Or.....

I wish I could tell you that "believing what US maufacturers tell you"
would solve your problem.  It won't, absolutely.  Unfortunately, the
Sam's Clubs, Costco's, Home Depot's, et al, rely on the published
"surface" information and "cheapest" as the primary factor in
purchasing.  Their products make it to the general public and in many
cases are what we are confronted with using or supplying due to customer
insistence.  Fact.

How do we tell a customer who "did their research" that "well, you did
your research at Costco, it doesn't hold up", when we buy our meat and
tires there?  (Beer, laundry detergent and cigars, too, for
me.....Actually, I prefer to personally kill as much of the meat I eat
as possible.)

Don't believe what you read on packages!  I don't care what country it's
printed or manufactured in.  There is not a "believable" and/or tested
and reliable standard by which this "packaging" reaches us.  I've seen
it with X-mas lites and more.....X-mas Lites!  How sacred is that?  Same
with CF's....We are looking for answers and we get questions....Can't
our Government protect us?  Talk about terrorrism!  I'm terrified that
the shoes I'm trying on say size 11-1/2 but they can't be anything
larger than a 10.  My feet haven't grown in 20 years.  Fact!

This may not provide answers....It's not supposed to.  It's intended to
make you question farther, get the "real answer"......Make choices in
products and vendors that support what you and "we" really need.  Tell
the Costco people that they are "screwed up"....It's not like the local
managers are the buyers, but get emotional when you explain it.  I find
great value in that, poor Costco!  Eventually it all "feeds up".  Act
indignant when you read the label in the aisle and make damned sure that
any customers nearby hear and understand your indignance and would never
purchase that product.  It is your duty!  (Don't spend a lot of time
doing this....unless you find it extremely amusing and rewarding....In
that case, knock yourself out!)

 Feedback.  It's not like the 800 number on the "Made in China" lamp
will do you any good, but the voice of several/many (reference
hopefulness at the PUC with regard to Exit Fees)  to the decisionmakers
may.....Costco, Sam's Club, Home Depot and others are all places that I
shop.  When I run across things that aren't right, I take the time to
let them know.  It's amazing how many things over the years have "made a
difference".  It can't just be my loud-a&$ed voice telling them!

Praying for Sun and Truth in Packaging,

-Matt Lafferty
now found at mlafferty at universalenergies.com

- - - -