Altitude effects on PV performance [RE-wrenches]

Tom Elliot, Guffey Energy Works telliot at wagonmaker.com
Sat Mar 1 11:20:29 PST 2003

My system is installed at 9000'.  The other day, even without optimimum
panel angle, we got 1209 watts of actual output from our 1200 watt (nominal
rating) panel array (mix of 6 Solec S-100 and 8 BP-75) through our SB-50
MPPT controller.  The system is 8 years old, the weather was cold and not
completely clear (bright sunshine but hazy) with some snow for reflectance.
I'm rather pleased about that.

And yes, some good indicator of insolation at altitude would be great,
though there are a lot of other factors at play also.

Tom Elliot