Altitude effects on PV performance [RE-wrenches]

Dana Orzel dana at solarwork.com
Thu Feb 27 21:13:27 PST 2003

I have several installs at 10,000 ft. el. to 13,200ft. el.
Without a snow field in front of the collector @ 10,000 ft. el., I have seen
20% to 30% output increase or 2% to 3% per 1,000 ft. el. depending on
temperature, the colder obviously the more output.
Add a snow field reflecting up at the array and that has added an additional
15%. Add edge of cloud effect and I have seen spikes of 50% over PV panel
rating at 13,200 Ft.
Your controller needs to be over sized to allow for this rarified output.
Allow more time for the installation too, oxygen is 30 to 32% less than sea
level and you will not be working nearly as fast.
Have fun !!