Let us not become the monster we fight today. [RE-wrenches]

matthew tritt solarone at charter.net
Fri Feb 7 21:10:49 PST 2003

Dana,

Your observations are really good. There is a truth you might as well face
though, and that is that virtually all forms of energy consumed by modern
society enjoy some kind of subsidies, at some point in their production
and/or use. Nukes, coal, natural gas and hydro power all have benefited from
the re-distribution of wealth (taxation). Because of the capital intensive
nature of developing resources, both renewable and otherwise, few business
are willing or able to do all the development on their own. Without
subsidies it is highly probable that huge numbers of people would simply
freeze to death for lack of the wherewithal to buy fuel or power.

Because of the extremely high technology and high cost inherent in producing
photovoltaics, there's just no way that a meaningful number of people
(enough to make an impact on environmental degradation) will ever be in a
position to buy and install PV. Without subsidies that is. We must have
subsidies in place or we will never see photovoltaics reach the point of
competitiveness with conventional forms of power generation Hopefully this
will not remain the domain of the wealthy forever.

Michael thinks we're off-topic! :-)

Happy landings,

Matt