Kohler 8.5 [RE-wrenches]

John Blittersdorf, Cent. VT Solar & Wind cvsolar at aol.com
Tue Jan 7 20:44:46 PST 2003

Allen,
   Thanks for the Kohler fuel consumption figures.  Looks like a gallon an
hour at the max continuous settings.  4000 watts per gallon... now to check
out my little K2200 consumption in gallons of gasoline compared to the Kohler
with propane...  too late tonight for that math.

   You read my mind as I had wondered about breaking the neutral bond on that
generator.  Is it as simple as isolating the neutral wires from the ground
lug on the bottom of the wiring/circuit board space?

   Which brings up another odd situation I had.  A Honda 5000 watt generator
feeding a DR1524 suddenly started kicking the ground fault breaker on the
generator after working fine for months.  I had not broken the ground/neutral
in that generator and had not grounded the generator.  I did have the ground
(third) wire in the generator power cord connected to my main system
ground/neutral point in the transfer box.  We couldn't find anything wrong
with the power cord and finally I tried disconnecting the ground wire in the
power cord at the neutral bus and it worked fine.  All I could figure is that
the snow that had blown in around the generator in its makeshift shed was now
grounding the generator case and creating dual grounds.  The system ground
rod is only a few feet from the generator.  Should I just ground the
generator to that same rod...creating a common ground or is the correct
grounding to isolate the neutral in the genny and reconnect the ground wire
at my main bus.  At the time I didn't think to connect the genny frame the
the ground rod to see if the problem went away.

John
CVSolar

To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & etiquette: http://www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquete.htm