Kohler 8.5 [RE-wrenches]

Allan Sindelar allan at positiveenergysolar.com
Tue Jan 7 20:15:45 PST 2003

----- Original Message -----
From: "John Blittersdorf, Cent. VT Solar & Wind" <cvsolar at aol.com>
Subject: Re: SW4024 and Pizzo Ignitors [RE-wrenches]

> 37 amps at 120v is about 52% of its rated output.  I have noticed at that
> setting, frequency control on the Kohler is very good and the engine
doesn't
> appear to work at all.  Anyone have good fuel consumption numbers for the
> Kohler?  I am trying to wean off my super efficient Kawasaki to cut down
run
> time but so far haven't found a generator that gives me more watts per
gallon.

John,
The 8.5 is rated 35A at 240 VAC at sea level on LPG. It sounds like you are
running off of one leg of a 120/240 output. You can easily reconfigure the
field windings to straight 120VAC output, to run both stator coils in
balance at 1/2 of max output. This is advised; how to do it has been
discussed here in the past. You can also break the internal neutral/ground
bond if you wish.

Published LPG fuel consumption is 72 cu. ft./hour @ 100% load, 45 cfh @ 75%
load, 36 cfh @ 50% load, and 29 cfh @ 25% load. 1 gallon LPG = 36.39 cu. ft.
Allan @+E