Bureaucracy - California Style [RE-wrenches]

Matt Lafferty pvpro at attbi.com
Mon Jan 6 22:19:21 PST 2003

Wrenches:

Graham wrote:

>  I think we
> could still have a viable residential PV market if lots of little jobs
> costing less than $25,000 could be installed without the public works
> baggage.

This will definitely be one of the arguments we have...but what about all
you battery guys?  No, I haven't forgotten you, even though I don't like
you...lol....no....LOL :-)

Current "Legal Opinion" on what this means:  It is the full price of the
job, before Buydowns or incentives are applied.  I wouldn't waste my time
trying that approach.  I guess I already did.  Seemed like a reasonable
argument.  FYI - The Counsel (multiple) I consulted with on this were
"green" and not "adversaries".

I've also tried the "It's on private homes, not publicly owned or operated"
approach.  Initially, this was given a partial thumbs up, but ultimately "No
Way".

The "Wages" is only the tip of the ICEBERG.  It is the "Public Works"
language that presents the real obstacles.  Please trust me on that.  If you
don't, I'll be forced to tell stories.....We don't want that, now, do we?
I'm still on the "inside" of that nightmare element...4 more days!  Wait,
the Lotto draws on Wednesday.  I may only have 2 days to go!

This is an iceberg.  It is actually a field of icebergs.  We are headed for
it, in the dark, if we don't turn on the lights and direct our course
carefully through it.  I believe it is navigable, just treacherous.

In a very brief nutshell:

Public Contract Code, which dictates Public Works related stuff, would end
up requiring the things like Bonding, Admin Staff, etc. that I referred to
in my "Matt's Home for Displaced Wrenches" post.  NO BS!

One of the immediate needs is to establish a "Solar Installer"
classification for Prevailing Wage requirements with the DIR.  This is a
"backup" and interim measure, and by no means to be regarded as a "cave-in"
or giving up.  There are good people hustling to try and effect that
implementation and development in a manner that meets the needs of PVers and
the Burons that administer that kind of thing.

Exclusion from the onerosities (I make up words sometimes) of the "entangled
three", at least at a certain level, is really the only viable end result.
To ensure success to some level of enduring nature, we need to address and
"hit out of the park" all of the entanglements in as permanent and clearly
defined a manner possible.

Please, please read the bills (which are actually laws now, not bills) and
digest and comment.  Simply "blasting" and "venting" won't get it done.
Rational heads will prevail.  After the rational guys get done, then I'll
say my piece.... ;-)

Lots of work to do,

-Matt Lafferty
pvpro at attbi.com