Bureaucracy [RE-wre [RE-wrenches]

Joel Davidson joeldavidson at earthlink.net
Mon Jan 6 10:25:12 PST 2003

Graham,
It is impossible to eliminate the prevailing wages clause from Public Works
projects. All 3 branches of government want prevailing wages on Public Works
projects because they use to be a cesspool of corruption before
Taft-Hartley. Prevailing wages clauses were added later to further level the
playing field. The key is to clearly and narrowly define exactly what is a
Public Works project. Anything that does not fit the definition is not
subject to the prevailing wages requirement.
Best regards,
Joel Davidson

Graham Owen wrote:

> Matt,
>
> Below I am pasting a section of text from the SB1078 Analysis.  There
> might be a chink in the armor if it can be demonstrated that the PGC
> (Public Goods Charge) is in fact not public?  How do we find out who
> amended the text in SB1078, which changed, and classified PV
> installations with PGC funds to be deemed Public works?
>
> “Work done by renewable energy generators and developers who
> receive PGC funds pursuant to this bill for construction or
> repair of renewable energy resources would be regarded as
> "public works."  By virtue of being regarded as public works,
> the work done would be subject to the state's prevailing wage
> laws.  A question arises as to whether or not the PGC funds are
> genuinely public funds.  Unlike taxes, the PGC is collected by
> private entities as a fee that is collected in proportion to the
> amount of energy used by the customer.  It is, however, true
> that there is some government involvement in the administration
> of the funds once collected, which could lead to a conclusion
> that the character of the funds is public.”
>
> Graham

- - - -
To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & etiquette: http://www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquete.htm