List reminders - Read carefully [RE-wrenches]

Michael Welch michael_welch at sbcglobal.net
Fri Sep 26 15:47:41 PDT 2003

Hi gang, I wanted to take a moment to reinforce the appropriate uses of this RE-Wrenches list. I have been dealing with complaints in this regard.

Remember, all dealers' marketing-related discussions belong on the RE-Markets list (contact Bill Roush to subscribe), and anything goes on the private-to-us RE-Bitching list (let me know if you want to be added).

If you have any questions or responses, PLEASE CONTACT ME OFF LIST.

1) Keep the discussions as technical as possible. Leave marketing questions, politics, and local info out of it.

2) Please don't use the list for things that a quick call to manufacturer tech support could take care of. If something important has been gained from that call, then please feel free to post that info here for the other Wrenches to benefit from.

3) Please avoid questions and comments that pull manufacturer representatives into non-technical discussions about their products. They know they are not supposed to discuss non-technical info on the list, and it puts them in a tight spot when they feel they have to respond or defend.

4) Manufacturer Reps, please refrain from discussing the products of your competitors, either negative or positive. Recently, some manufacturers on the list have been concerned that their products and/or services have been compromised by statements from other, competing manufacturers. Having a representative from each equipment manufacturer has been invaluable to this list, and we want to keep it that way.

If you have info on a competitor's product in response to a specific question from a Wrench, please take care of it off list. Your responsibility to the list is to answer specific technical questions related to your product, not to criticize or comment on competitors products.

5) Manufacturer Reps, please refrain from adding extra little tidbits after answering Wrench questions about your product -- like, "and by the way, our next widget will also be able to do the dishes." Keep on topic.

6) Finally, everyone be aware that whatever you post on this list is available for the public to view if they take the time to go to the web site. I know that the list is monitored by folks in and out of the industry that are not subscribed, because I occasionally get comments from them. What they think of what you have posted could potentially affect your relationship with them.

Thanks, gang.

Michael Welch

------------------------
"We don't care. We don't have to. We're the phone company."
			Lily Tomlin as Ernestine the Operator

Michael Welch, michael.welch at homepower.com
     Home Power magazine
     www.homepower.com