Need help with grounding problem [RE-wrenches]

Daryl Thayer daryl_solar at yahoo.com
Sun Jul 20 05:37:40 PDT 2003

Thank you all for the help in my previous posts.

What I need is some grounding help. Here is situation.

Existing system, wind tower, battery bank, located 600
feet from residence.  The wind tower is grounded with
ground rod in sandy soil.  Equipment at tower is also
grounded with ground rod.  Neutral wire is bonded at
tower location at one point to ground rod system. That
is two ground rods, with one jumper to the neutral
wire.

This is a three wire 240 volt/120 volt AC system. that
is two hots and one neutral.  The power from the
inverters is connected to 3-wires of #2 copper buried
under ground to the residence. The original dealer did
not bury a ground wire. At the residence the circuit
breaker panel is also grounded to the neutral by
connecting to the 240' well casing.

What I think happened is the lightening strike hit the
tower, came down the tower to the ground rod system,
entered the neutral, destroyed the inverters, traveled
to the residence and was dissipated in the well
casing.  I think the problem is in the sandy soil
where the tower is mounted.

How should I fix this, and How can I get a better
ground in the sandy soil.

Daryl

http://sbc.yahoo.com

- - - -