[a-w-h] jake charging [RE-wrenches]

Daryl Thayer daryl_solar at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 8 12:59:13 PDT 2003

Hi everyone
I have a new question not related to the home
built-rebuilt older Jake of my eariler posts.

I just got a new to me customer, and I am about to
travel to his location, about 3 hr drive.  I want a
little mental tips to help me trouble shoot.  He has
no wiring diagram.  Which I will create when I get
there.
He has given me the discription over the phone.  The
system was designed and installed by a very
experianced installer and designer who has left town.

It is a stand alone system.
He has a Jake, later version, 20 kW I think that gives
him 120 volt DC.  He charges a set of batteries, 1000
amp hour, 120 volt, center taped I think at +- 60
volts.  He also has several PV panels charging through
a 48 volt RV products power Plus.  And he runs his
loads from a set of 4 each SW5548 inverters. Two
supply his house and two supply his shop. all on a 120
volt battery string with multible taps to give lower
voltage need for charging and load service.  He has a
generator that charges through a fifth SW5548.  He
also has a DC to DC converter to link the excess of
the 120 volt to the 96 volt for the dual SW5548s.  You
can see this is a complex system.  He seems to have
multiple problems, first one then another.

I would like to keep as much as I could "as is" but
the 120 volt Jake and 120 volt battery set seems to be
the complex over the top problem.  What would need to
be done to get the jake to charge either a 96 or 48
volt battery set?  Or should I go for some other
battery set voltage?  I would perfer to have every
thing on 48 volts DC.  Or to change to 60 volts.
Would Outback make me some 60 volt inverters?  How
else can I get this strightened out?

I am thinking the mix of voltages adds to the
complexity and could cause some subtle problems.
Inaddition how can a person balance the batteries for
charge and discharge?  The very least is how to
trouble shoot this needlessly complex system.

Daryl

http://sbc.yahoo.com

- - - -
To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com