Current Energy Graphs on Current Energy [RE-wrenches]

Dean T. Newberry deant at dcn.org
Sun Jun 15 18:12:08 PDT 2003

<x-flowed>
Hi Alan,

    I have been looking at your "Supply and Demand for Electricity in
California" Charts at http://currentenergy.lbl.gov/ca/. [Note: your
clock seems about 15 minutes fast.]  I am a Solar PV rep and installer.
    I was up at SMA a couple of weeks ago and overheard that they had
sold about 300MW of  grid intertie inverters in the last couple of
years. Perhaps the CEC has accurate information on the scope of the  "PV
Intertie Plant". Other information is that the transmission and
distribution losses are about 30%, so the central station generator
replacement value of the intertie inverters sold is about 428 MW mostly
made from 11:00am until 4:30pm (my 13 systems of about 2.5kW each  are
more focused on the peak).
    The Current Energy Today Sunday June 15th is about 27,000MW. If most
of SMA systems are in California, then they represent about 1.6% of the
supply during the peak.
    More interesting is the Net Import at about 6000MW, Intertied PV
would represent about 7% of the Import supply today. My guess is that
since that power is wheeled over longer lines and higher voltages the
losses for that power are greater, and the PV benefit somewhat greater.
    I am wondering if there is a method of measuring or estimating the
contribution of the State's distributed PV plant and including it on
your chart? That begs the question of what the contribution of Cogen,
Wind and other renewables might be. Logically it might make more sense
to combine all renewables in a "Renewable Capacity or Supply".
    Your permission please to include your chart on my website, with
attribution. Review at http://www.dcn.davis.ca.us/go/deant/ and click on
the "Today's Electricity" link.

    Do you have any idea where I can get:
        * the spot price quote for peak electricity for the california
market
        * the generation mix each hour, ie nuke, gas, oil, hydro, wind etc.
        * long term contract supply
        * and other stuff to figure out what the electrical and
environmental benefits of renwable energy might be?

Thanks for your work on this chart and bothering with my ruminations
late on father's day, (my kids are off to camp and other places).

cul  deant at dcn.org

- - - -
To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & etiquette: http://www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquete.htm