SW4048 remote start query [RE-wrenches]

Robert Warren robertwarren at mail.com
Fri Feb 28 14:34:05 PST 2003

Eric,
 You may need to find a 12 volt timer switch that you can use to connect
to the R-7 relay for the "Slave" inverter. The R-7 relay will not take
the load of running a contactor, but can be used to signal a relay that
can run a larger contactor. When 2 Trace inverters are stacked, the
slave is the one that controls the gen start. But you want to have the
Hotspot" radiator fluid heater/pump come on for a full 10 min. to warm
up the propane genny first? This is way too much energy to start a
propane engine. They start much facter than a diesal, and don't need a
glow plug.  I have been to Orcas Is., and even thoungh you get snow and
bitter cold weather, it is still a milder climate than when I lived for
7 years near Aspen, Co. Maybe the genny is too old and needs to be
scrapped? A good engine will start in fairly cold weather with only a
decent set of spark plugs. You can also try advancin the spark to get it
to start sooner. Try 5 degrees more than whatever the distributor is set
for now. The other tip is to make sure you have some recircuation of
exhaust heat near the air intake heat exchanger to warm the air before
it goes into the carbuarator.
 I had one client in Colorado up at 10,000 feet who plumbed a solar hot
water system into his battery and generator room, which was super
insulated to keep the block from freezing.
 I may be able to help you, but don't know enough about what you are
trying to do with this  "Hotspot" heater.  Also, are you running the two
inverters in tandem to provide 120/240 volt, or are you trying for 8 kW
of 120 VAC?

Robert Warren
robert.warren at solarcentury.co.uk

Rainshadow wrote:
> Wrenches,
>
> I'm working on stacked 4048 SW's remote starting a 20KW propane Onan.
> The problem is when its cold even with the starting defaults maxed, it
> won't start due to "cold start error" on the generator.  The generator
> has a "Hotspot" radiator fluid heater/pump that draws 19 amps @ 120vac.
> What I would like to do is  have the fluid heater/pump come on 10
> minutes before the SW tells the generator to start.  I set up a 12 volt
> relay to run off the starter battery and get switched on by a relay on
> the SW but can't think of any way to make it work. The only thing I can
> think of is some kind of delay relay, but the SW will most likely take
> any delay as an error.  Any ideas or suggestions sure would help. thanks
>
> Eric Youngren
> Rainshadow Solar
> Orcas Island, WA

What will we do if there is another fuel shortage?
Did you know that there is a pollution free, completely
renewable fuel which you can use right now in your own car?
Don't replace the engine, replace the fuel.
Check out my website on making your own fuel:
http://running_on_alcohol.tripod.com
robertwarren at mail.com

- - - -
To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com