Square D Switch update [RE-wrenches]

John Berdner jberdner at sma-america.com
Thu Feb 27 16:31:00 PST 2003

Wrenches:

I received some documentation from Square D on the HU 361.
"The letter is available on "company letterhead" to any customer by
simply calling Square D customer service department at 859-243-8220."

I am trying to get permission to post it on our site as a PDF
I'll put up a quick post when it is up.
The main points are:

You can use one pole per inverter positive.
This means one switch can be used for 3 inverters in a multi-inverter
install.
18 Amps max / 1.56 = 11.53 Amps Isc per pole
600 Voc max (at lowest expected ambient temp.)
Voc - Vmp must be less than 250 Vdc (no problem)

The lugs ARE approved for 2 wires per lug but they have some weird
combinations of what is allowed.
Things like: 1 12 solid & 1 10 stranded, 2 12 solid, 2 12 stranded, etc.
J Wiles and I suggested they test 2 wires in every combination from 14
to 10 and both stranded and solid.
Sounds like they are going to do this and update the Listing when the
tests are complete.

No word on the optional divider kit to allow ac and dc in the box.
This would allow 1 switch to be both the dc disconnect and the "totally
unnecessary, double redundant, visible blade, service entrance rated,
highest possible cost, required by your local utility only because of a
union turf war" ac disconnect.
I suggest contacting your local Square D field engineer and ask them for
the divider kit.
This will help to show there is a market for it and make it more likely
to happen.

If you have any questions or if I may be of any further assistance,
please do not hesitate to contact me.

Best Regards,

John Berdner

SMA America, Inc.