Revisionist History and the poignant SDHW historic parable [RE-wrenches]

Graham Owen graham at solarexpert.com
Thu Dec 26 19:50:54 PST 2002

Bill and Joel,

Your interesting debate about whether substandard solar installations or
tax credit abuse resulted in the solar incentives being repealed in the
80’s isn’t so cut and dried from my recollection.  It was to some degree
a bit of both as well as politics.  I recall aggressive marketing
companies who sold a tremendous number of SDHW systems for double their
true value to allow customers to get the full tax credit by offering 5
$1,000 rebates for solid referrals which resulted in more sales.  (There
was also a 10% California credit so the maximum possible tax credit was
$5,000.)  They would sell a $5,000 system under contract for $10,000,
which made the system free and very easy to sell.  Some of these
marketing companies sold so many systems that their crews became very
experienced, competent and actually did good work.  On the other hand,
there were also a large number of small honest solar companies who were
still struggling to train and/or keep competent installers, resulting in
substandard installations, when compared to the crooks.  It’s really
hard to put a finger on the black eye when some recall shoddy
installations while other recall scammers.  I do believe that the vast
majority of SDHW installations worked and a sizable percentage are still
operable today, unfortunately the many happy customers do not create any
noise when compared to the few squeaky wheels.

The energy crisis in the 70’s as well as the recent California crisis
both created an awareness for alternatives and I think we have to face
the fact that when crisis situations subside the awareness subsides as
well. A prominent politician who will remain nameless recently told me
that our industrial infrastructure was built upon abundant fossil fuels
and that what solar truly offers is a reduction in the number of black
kid’s in the ghetto who get asthma.

Somehow us FSG’s need to keep on the same page when it comes to lobbying
for our industry. Personally I like these debates and hearing different
arguments because I am not embarrassed to say, hey your right, thanks
for setting me straight.  It’s too bad this is done in a public forum
with name-calling but I do not know of a better alternative?

I believe that solar is good and the people in our industry are decent
and we are infighting too much in public.

Respectfully Graham

- - - -
To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & etiquette: http://www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquete.htm