Revisionist History and the poignant SDHW historic parable [RE-wrenches]

Joel Davidson joeldavidson at earthlink.net
Thu Dec 26 15:32:54 PST 2002

Bill,

I am not a revisionist.

I appreciate and share your desire for better PV systems, but don't try to
re-write history to make "too large" and "too loose" tax credits the reason for
the end of the federal tax credits. Reagan Republicans racked up one of the
largest budget deficits in the nation's history and cut spending on solar and
other programs that they did not like.

>From Solarex's booklet "Everything you always wanted to know about Solar Power"
copyright 1993, "Solar energy seemed popular about fifteen years ago, then
disappeared. What happened?

"The energy crises of the 1970s (really oil supply crises) promoted an intense
interest in finding alternatives which peaked in the late 1970s under the Carter
administration. At that time, oil was expensive ($40/barrel) and the U.S.
government was supporting PV directly with an R&D budget of $150 million and
indirectly with a 40% tax credit for residential solar system installations up
to $10,000. These factors resulted in substantial investment and growth in the
PV industry and dramatic growth in the solar thermal industry.

"By the mid 1908s all of these factors had reversed. Oil was cheap ($10/barrel),
R&D funding was slashed (down 75%) and residential tax credits were eliminated.
The number of systems was dramatically reduced and the industry shrank
accordingly - 90% of solar thermal manufacturers went out of business.

"In the PV industry sales were never largely dependent on tax credits but direct
government purchases were slowed down and the reduced R&D funding slowed cost
reduction efforts. Most of the oil companies that had invested heavily in PV
sold out or closed down their PV operations. The net effect was a flat period
for PV. During the 1980s, the PV industry made dramatic cost improvements (PV
modules today cost only 1/3 of what they sold for ten years ago in real dollars)
and developed a variety of economic markets.

"At the same time, the 1980s brought a renewed awareness of the environmental
impact of energy production. The Chernobyl accident in particular brought home
to Europeans the need for cleaner and safer forms of energy.

"These factors have combined to create an expanding market for PV and a greater
interest in the technology. The recent change in U.S. administrations may also
lead to greater emphasis on PV by the U.S. Government."

>From the 1987 edition of my book: "On January 1, 1986, the 40% federal tax
credit, worth up to $4000 of the cost of a residential solar electric power
system, was repealed. Every now and then there are unsuccessful efforts to
revive solar energy tax credits. Few in Congress wanted to give credits because
of the growing deficit. We had a good law on the books and now it is gone.

"Taxpayers have been subsidizing non-renewable energy businesses for years.
Worse, we are forced to pay billions of dollars each year to prop up a failing
nuclear power industry. Needless to say, to compete with other forms of energy
production in the marketplace PV needs the same tax breaks allowed
non-renewables. It's not a bad idea to write your representatives in Congress
and let them know how you feel. I also want to encourage you to support and use
the various state and federal energy information services."

>From the 1983 edition of my book: "As of this writing (1982), there has been
talk around Washington to repeal the federal energy credits. Unless that
happens, we have a good law on the books. For years taxpayers have been
subsidizing nonrenewable energy businesses. Worse yet, we are forced to pay
millions of dollars each year to prop up a failing nuclear power industry.

"It is important for all of us to know about and use the federal energy tax
credits. These savings alone can cut 40% from the initial cost of a PV home
power system. In addition, almost all states have some form of energy credit,
refund or rebate program to further reduce initial costs. These credits can mean
savings as high as 80%.

"One reason given by the Administration for eliminating the energy credits is
that very few people are using them. In 1979 nearly 5 million Americans spent
over $3 billion on energy and conservation and, using the tax credits allowable
under the law, each saved an average of $100 - a total of almost $500 million
stayed in the pockets of these energy-conscious people."

Joel Davidson

To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & etiquette: http://www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquete.htm

Moderator: michael.welch at homepower.com