SWR2500U Some derating likely [RE-wrenches]

jberdner at sma-america.com jberdner at sma-america.com
Wed Nov 20 19:53:08 PST 2002

Bill / Joel:

Yes, I agree that 22 140's is slightly above the upper limit of what we
recommend and we would be more comfortable recommending 20 SP 140's.
Remember though, Joel qualified the installation location by saying on
the North side, e.g. no direct sunlight on the inverter, and with good
ventilation.  In that case I think you can bend the rules a little
without too much negative impact on system performance, i.e. excessive
derating.

With adequate airflow it is hard to get the heat sink hot under any
reasonable ambient conditions.  At the high ambient temps the array
output is so far down it is usually not an issue.  Normally derating
rears it's ugly head in the Spring and Fall when you have good sun
angles and irradiance but lower ambient temperatures so array output is
higher.  I try to think about these things from a kWh/year perspective
when I make judgment calls like this.  Worst case - I am wrong and we
will put a fan on it.

If you have any questions, or if I can be of any further assistance,
please do not hesitate to contact me.

Best Regards,

John Berdner

SMA America, Inc.