Uni-Solar laminates [RE-wrenches]

matthew tritt solarone at charter.net
Tue Oct 15 08:55:47 PDT 2002

Marco,

All the PVLs I've installed have stuck quite well (as long as you follow the
instructions, or the roofer follows the instructions concerning the required
anti-slip screws at the top of each module!), produce the power they claim
to produce and yes, you can walk on them with good, soft anti-slide shoes.

Since the roofing is the mounting structure, you have to ground the roof
panels on which the mod's are laminated. This is a big topic of discussion
and argument as you can imagine. The last install I did with these panels
required running a solid #8 up and down both pitches of an East-West facing
array; 2 strings of 9 for one SunnyBoy 1800, and one string of 11 for
another. Each inverter used the output of modules facing one direction only.
It's good that all the wiring is concealed by the ridge-cap, since the
ground wire and the module inter-connects (excessively long from the
factory) all run in and out and amongst each other, mixed with a smattering
of very gooey roof sealant and shoe prints) The system works very well,
considering the season, and the shading provided by the very tall standing
roof seams with this particular brand of roofing. There is a shadow from top
to bottom on every module all day long, with the exception of a rather short
period around noon. The panels still produce well in spite of the shading!
If it were any other type of module the output would be in the toilet.

They also work extremely well in high heat and in diffused sunlight.

They might be just the thing for your neck of the woods.

Matt