Uni-Solar laminates [RE-wrenches]

Daryl DeJoy penobscotsolar at midmaine.com
Tue Oct 15 09:06:08 PDT 2002

<x-flowed>
Hi Marco,
         Well, we've been certified to install them, but without any takers
so far in the way of customers....
They do need to be installed on the ground (pre-roof installation) on
galvalume metal roofing with a minimum of 16 inch pans. The "glue" that
laminates it to the metal seems to be very much like bituthane ice/water
shield type material. Very sticky, you only get one shot at it!!
         Once the laminating is done you need to install the junction boxes
using (provided by Uni-Solar) high quality silicone. This needs to be done
at the top or bottom of the metal panel (remember to specify when ordering)
and usually goes under the roof cap. Wiring is done under the seam in the
roof from the underside. There was no grounding done to the actual panel,
although I'm sure you would bond your negative to ground within the system
itself. The panels are not metal and can be kicked, punched, run on, etc.
Pretty cool stuff, but it takes up a fair amount of space vs single crystal
type material.
         We were told by Uni-Solar that you must be certified to install
the laminates or their warranty will not be applicable.
Best,
Daryl DeJoy
Penobscot Solar Design

To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com