Quandry(was Help needed in Tuolumne County) [RE-wrenches]

Steve Willey, Backwoods Solar steve at backwoodssolar.com
Thu Oct 3 10:21:47 PDT 2002

> So I'm curious. How would you guys and gals handle this?
> Best, Bob-O

I see lots of deficient/defective systems, owner installed usually, or worse
by a neighbor so the owner doesn't even know what equipment he has. Its
usually driven by lack of funds as much as lack of knowledge.  So best is
when its in a home someone just bought, and has the resources to correct it.

I carefully list the deficiencies and safety hazards, each in a separate
category:
1.No fuses on those 3 small wires added directly to the battery,
2 inadequate number of solar modules which are partially shaded and
connected with too small wires,
3. inverter is not working at all,
4. fuse for the pump should be at the battery, not at the pump end of
unfused wire,
etc.  I put a priority on each item, safety issues first. I put a price tag
and parts list separately on each item for a complete fix of that item. This
is all in a written letter, and I keep a copy.

The customer will OK all or part of it based on costs usually, and we do
those parts up to standard. We can urge, but not always convince them to do
it all, depending on their needs. Some never do anything at all, based on
lack of money. Fusing is usually so low cost that it isn't hard to get them
to include the most urgent safety issues if they are going to have anything
done at all.
Steve Willey       steve at backwoodssolar.com

- - - -
To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com